Saturday, March 26, 2011

How I save on gas

Gas prices are on the way up again and it makes me hate going to the gas station to fill up.  The last time I filled up my car I spent about $55 dollars whichinspires me to do a few things to get the most out of my gas.  These are the top 4 things I do to save gas:

1.  Drive slower.  The more expensive gas is the slower I drive.  I’ve found that driving between 55 to 60 mph helps get me some extra miles.  It’s a huge test of patience, so every time I want to drive faster I turn on some slow oldies and think of the money I’m potentially saving by driving like an old lady.

2.  Easy on the acceleration.  This goes along with number 1.  When I see a stop sign, red light, or traffic ahead of me, I just cruise in there.  I try not to gas it and then brake hard once I’m there.  

3.  Carpool.  OK, I don’t really do this, but I swear I’m going to start if gas gets up to $5 a gallon.  Finding a good carpool buddy is hard... I spend an hour in the car commuting, that is 5 hours a week and 20 hours in a month.  If I had to carpool, I’d have to find someone I’d be willing to hang out with 20 hours a month.  This could potentially save the most money though since it essentially cuts my driving in half.

4.  Keep my trunk clean.  I try to keep keep my trunk empty, or at least empty of things that are heavy.  The more that’s in there the more gas I have to use to move the car so I try to keep my cinder blocks at home.